Four Benefits To Using Glass Mosaic Tiles In Your Home
If you’re looking for something to add visual appeal to your pool or your floor or even your kitchen, homeowners can’t go wrong with mosaic tile. Not only can tile be used practically in a home—such as in a pool or in flooring—but it can also be used artistically such as for murals, where artists can make all kinds of designs including mermaids and mosaic turtles.
Whatever a homeowner chooses to use them for, there are lots of benefits to using mosaic tile. Glass mosaic tiles made entirely of recycled glass and they can give a spot a certain touch of elegance and lavish such as with bathroom flooring or even for a backsplash in the kitchen. Mosaic tile can also have the following benefits:
- Easy maintenance: Mosaic tiles and glass tiles are extremely easy to maintain because they hold up against a lot of potential hazards. They’re non-porous, so they hold up well against mold, staining and chemical damage among other things. They also have a high retention quality, which in layman’s term means they’re going to keep their look for a long time. When it comes to cleaning, it’s as simple as wiping towels down.
- Good looking: There’s no doubt mosaic tiles look fantastic, which is due to the visual properties of glass. You can get them from stores like Lowes and Home Depot and buy them in a variety of colors. You can buy tiles in lots of colors, but you can also buy them in a variety of effects such as shimmer tiles and mirror tiles. As if that wasn’t enough, transparent tiles can also be set to lighting if you’re really looking for a cool effect.
- Eco-friendly: If you’re looking to reduce your carbon footprint while still looking to create a stunning visual, you can do just that with mosaic tiles because they’re very eco-friendly. They don’t take much energy to install at all and you have many options to choose from when it comes to installation.
- Flexibility: If you’ve got some artistic talent and you want to make something cool like mermaids or some kind of wall mural, you can do so very easily. With mosaic tiles, the sky is the limit and you can even add frames around your creations to really make them stand out.
It should be noted that there are some hangups with mosaic tiles, despite all the benefits and those include:
- Difficult installation: Mosaic tiles look great, but they can be very difficult to install, depending on what you’re using them for. If you need tile installed for flooring for example, you might consider getting a professional to do it. If it’s not done right, it may end up costing you more than a few bucks over time.
- Cost: That wall mural of mermaids you create likely looks stunning in your kitchen for hanging on the wall, but depending on how many tiles you use, the cost can add up quickly. Depending on what you’re looking for, you can get some kinds of tile very cheap—about $10—and some of it runs more expensive—about $30 or $40 per square foot. This can add up quick if you’re thinking of doing some kind of colorful repeating pattern.
- Breakage: While it is true that mosaic tiles are durable, they are not totally immune from damage or breakage. Dropping something on tile can cause chips and cracks, which are expensive to repair if they can be repaired at all.
- Scratching: It also true that mosaic tiles are resistant to many types of chemical damage, but they are prone to scratching, which can quickly accumulate and may also require replacement.
Whether you’re looking to let your creative juices flow while creating something with mermaids or dolphins or sea turtles or add something classy looking to your kitchen your bathroom, there are plenty of reasons why installing mosaic tiles is a good idea. They might cost a little bit at the outset, but in the long run they’re going to last a long time and add that touch of elegance you’re looking for.